Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Alcan Highway





Today we reached mile marker one on the Alaska Hwy and I’m pretty sure we have a little over 1,500 miles to go before we reach Fairbanks. So far we’ve cracked our windshield twice and only hours within one another. At first we were pretty angry about the whole thing and then all we could do was laugh when the second rock hit. Apparently the Alaska Hwy is notorious for cracking windshields. I guess we just got lucky the first two times we drove it. We just stopped a few minutes ago to let the dogs out and I noticed bear tracks by the roadside- big bear tracks and baby ones next to them. I’ve noticed myself tuning back into wildlife since we’ve crossed over into bear country. Moose are really just as much of a concern because they can be as dangerous if not more. One of my fondest memories of Alaska is that it is WILD in every sense of the word, and that your surroundings are bigger than you. The mountains are bigger, the animals are bigger, and the weather is bigger. It’s very humbling. Even though I have a healthy respect/fear of some Alaskan animals, it feels good to be back in it.
Chrissy

1 comment:

Unknown said...

"Alaska is that it is WILD in every sense of the word, and that your surroundings are bigger than you. The mountains are bigger, the animals are bigger, and the weather is bigger."

Because EVERYTHING is big in Alaska.
Shit, I may even hit a whopping 5'1 while I am here....*grins


I am so glad you all finally made it. I am even more glad I got to meet up with you upon your arrival. Jason and I enjoyed it immensely. Best of luck on finding a settling place (that is not a campsite) and let me know your address as soon as you establish it.

Kisses...
-C.